Reading and Sharing stories.
We know it is important to read stories or tell stories to young children to support their early development. Twinkl have provided us with some lovely downloadable stories you can read from your phone/tablet or computer compatible with PDF.
Why do we use dialogic book sharing?
Learning and Development - Creating the language-learning environment.
Why? To acknowledge and extend children’s experiences and develop their vocabulary.
A Unique Child - Who is valued and listened to:
- Contributes to discussion
- Relates the story content to their own experiences
- Develops their own ideas
- Initiates conversations with adults and children
Positive Relationships - That build and support communication by:
- Sharing experiences
- Gaining insight into the feelings of others
- Learning to interpret the behaviour of others
- Listening to and empathising with others
- Developing the ability to converse with peers and adults
Enabling Environments - Children learn best when they are in a quiet environment with space and soft furnishings around them to help ensure they feel comfortable which helps them to be able to focus and remain engaged. Think about the background noise, is the TV on?, is there music playing?, How is the lighting? Is it natural light? is it too dark? or too intense? Is the temperature ok? Does it feel too hot or too cold?, Is the room well ventilated with fresh air coming in? etc
Two simple techniques you might like to try at home